Monday, January 23, 2006

Keeping the leaks plugged

The hardest part about poker for me is not finding the leaks, but keeping the leaks that I know about plugged. "Why?" you may ask. Easy. I see other people playing a certain way, and I want to be a lemming and play that way as well.

Seriously.

It's a normal human response that we all have to fight. We all want to be part of the "in" crowd. We all want to "belong". We all want to be in on the "big score" (which is why so many people lose money in stocks, but that's a whole tangent I'm not going to get into right now).

So what does this mean for my leaks? Well, I will be sitting at a table, trying to be TAG-man I'm doing well. My raises are getting respect. Then, BLAMMO! Down sits the LAG. He's calling my reraise from EP with A-rag when I'm holding KK on the button, and flops his A. He's playing low unsuited connectors from any position and hitting straights. I see his LAG play paying off. So, I start to play ragged aces. Monkey see, monkey do.

So my fight lately has been to keep a close watch on this habit of mine. Maybe I need to get a shock collar so I can zap myself when I start playing A-rag from EP (or anywhere, for that matter). It is the best way to end up with the second best hand. Apparently, the pain of bleeding cash still isn't great enough for me to not slip back once in a while.

But understanding that you have a problem is the first step to combating that problem.

Hi, my name is Illinifan, and I have a problem with wanting to return to my LAG ways. I'm fighting it. If you see me around calling down to the river with A-rag, help me. Please. Cya at the tables

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home