Thursday, May 04, 2006

Climbing the ladder in the Limit Challenge

Thanks for stopping by to check in. Today will just be a quick update on the Limit Challenge.

Current bankroll: $37.32 (+$36.12). Current Level: 5 ($0.50/$1) Goal for next level: $60. Amount needed for next goal: $22.68.

I've been working my way up steadily, with just a few downswings. I was successful in making it to Level 5, the $0.50/$1 game. First time there, I had a downswing and left the table down about $5. That forced me to move back to the $0.25/$0.50 game, as I no longer had the 30BB buy in to sit with when I was ready to start up again.

Back at $0.25/$0.50 I quickly made up the $5 when I got called down by a small PP when I flopped a set of Js. The turn filled me up and gave him his two pair, and he was unable to get away from it. Another player called to the river before folding (one of my favorite donk moves). I understand if there is a flush or str8 draw available that calling is a good option at times, followed by a fold when you miss the draw on the river. I'm still fascinated by the player who's moves include calling with an A (or K or Q) and folding when the A (or K or Q) doesn't hit on the river. I usually play only sets or big str8 or flush draws, so if people hit their A on the river it still doesn't help them. I guess I'm still not to a level where people pay attention, although there are quite a few more folds to a pre-flop raise in the $0.50/$1 game than there were at previous levels.

But I digress. Back to the report. After getting back above $30, I moved up to the $0.50/$1 again and hit a cold streak. Was down another $9 at one point before finally hitting a good run and finishing the session up $6. I think getting to the next level from here on out is going to be more of a grind. I'll see if I can maintain discipline and continue to move up. I'm curious to see where my tight/aggressive/aggressive behavior will finally hit a wall and I will have to start making some "moves" (limping into pots vs raising, check raises, etc) in order to keep the roll moving in the right direction.

That's all for now. Playing the challenge mostly over on PokerStars under "Illinifan". Stop by if you want and say hi, or sit and try to knock me back a level. Might be nice to have a few people in there to mix up the monotony once in a while.

I'll cya at the tables.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home