Sunday, May 22, 2005

Some thoughts on online poker sites and Poker Tracker

I haven't thought about the difference in sites too much, until I read this post. It got me thinking. With all the technology out there, you are a sucker if you aren't using it. Well, I for one don't think poker should be about who is paying for the best tracking technology, it should be about old fashioned work. I think that even though using software like Poker Tracker is not against the rules, I don't like the fact that it is out there and available, especially with some of the new "features" at several sites that allow you to track games even if you aren't playing.

So what is so bad about this? As some of these other authors have stated, information is power in poker. If you can collect stats without having to risk a dime or be sitting at a table, what is the point? Online poker is, in my opinion, on the verge of a serious problem. How can people be agiainst collaboration efforts, such as found here, but be okay with having the ability to track hands without playing at the table? What is the difference?

To me, there isn't one. And for now, with everything that is going on at Party Poker, Ultimate Bet, etc, and the fact that people don't like the fact that you can't download Hand Histories at Full Tilt, and I think I know where most of my future play and future dollars will be spent. I hate to sound like a shill for Full Tilt, but I like that I have to ACTUALLY PLAY and PAY ATTENTION to get stats on people. I don't have a program running in the background to give me more of an edge.

Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Since no one reads this site anyway, this is more of a journal to bitch about the technology and get it all out. If you do happen to stumble on this, leave a note. Otherwise, I'll be forced to post as comments on other bloggers sites until I finally get some traffic around here.....

2 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Ignatious said...

linking to some other bloggers over there on the right would help ya get some readers, fer sure. i'm only helping cause yer in cincy. ;)

honestly, this was a valid and growing issue for online poker, one that i think about often. i'm obviously a huge fan of poker tracker but the ability to data mine hand histories changed things in a big way.

but things have changed. it's a paradigm shift. prolly the first of many....

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger IlliniFan97 said...

Ask and ye shall receive. I know I've been lax in linking. So i'll make an effor this week....thanks for the heads up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home